Sunday, August 21, 2011

Notes from the Cave

Hello, Blogosphere.  Sorry for being so hit or miss lately.  I haven't had much in the creativity tank.  I actually tried to write some poetry a few weeks back, but it went nowhere.  I couldn't get it out.  I'm creatively constipated.

I worked third shift last weekend, as I always do on my weekend rotations, but for some reason I feel like I never got back on track from it this week.  I've been exhausted and sleeping a lot all week.  I hope this is just an aberration, because it's going to make things pretty miserable if I have to go through this every three weeks after my weekend shifts.

I managed to get out and mow the lawn today for the first time in almost a month.  I think I mowed it the weekend after we got back from vacation - July 24th or so - and hadn't mowed it since then.  It was actually good for the lawn, because it had time to get nice and lush.  Now that's it's freshly mowed, it looks good.

We got a new dog shortly after getting back from vacation.  Our last dog died about a year ago, and our daughters were begging for another one, so we caved in.  He is a Maltese-Havanese mix, and his name is Finley Henry Longshanks.  We call him Fin.  He's about 6 pounds with furry white hair.  He doesn't shed and his coat is supposed to be hypo-allergenic, so he was a good choice for our allergy-suffering family.  He's basically a lap dog.

Haven't seen much of the horses in the backyard lately.  They've been going out at night because of the heat during the daytime.  I see their shadows out there in the evenings every now and then.  I've also discovered that we have a lot of bats in the trees behind our house (the horse pasture basically comes up to our backyard through a break in the trees).  If I go out on the deck around sundown, I always see five or six bats flitting around the sky, searching for bugs.  I always vaguely wonder if they will echo-locate onto the end of my cigarette, but it hasn't happened yet, thankfully.

I had a rather interesting experience a few weeks ago.  I don't really want to talk about it publicly, because there are at least a few people I wouldn't want to tell, but if you want to know, email me and I'll tell you (unless you are one of the people that I don't want to tell, of course; in that case, I'll probably make up a lie and tell you something else, so you won't know you are one of the people I don't want to tell).

Does my tone in this post sound depressed?  I think I'm depressed.  My wife told me tonight that I just have a "depressive" personality.  That's fantastic.  Just what I always wanted!  It might help if I could actually get a good night's sleep once every couple of months or so.

I want to write more, but I just don't have anything.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to chime in as the creatively constipated. But here's a quote from Joseph Campbell I read just this week that sort of helped me get going again, in the pulpit at least, but not yet in the blog. Hope it helps:

‎"Writer’s block results from too much head. Cut off your head.
Pegasus, poetry, was born of Medusa when her head was cut off. You have to be reckless when writing. Be as crazy as your conscience allows."

Trent N. said...

Would love to hear your story but don't know your email. Is it posted somewhere on this blog and I just happened to miss it???

Trent

Scott said...

That's a great quote, Rev. I'll have to try to put that one into action.

Trent: it's scott.christmas@gmail.com