Thursday, November 14, 2013

New Song: Time Traveler/Lullaby

I've recently put the finishing touches on my 8th song.  It's called Time Traveler/Lullaby, and it's definitely my most ambitious creation to date.  I spent quite a bit more time putting this one together than any of the previous ones.  It's nearly 8 minutes long.

As the name implies, it's sort of two songs in one.  This song started its life as a classical guitar solo I wrote for my daughters as a lullaby six or seven years ago.  I hadn't played the song in years until I started re-learning it recently, and I decided the chord progression would make for a good hard rock song.  So I turned it into that and added lyrics.  However, I have retained the spirit of the original by throwing in a classical guitar reprise at the end of the song.

As with several of my previous songs, I have used a MIDI controller to record the drums and bass on this one.

The lyrics reflect a bit of my own journey in learning how to cope with depression and anxiety.

This is a link to the song on my Tumblr page: Time Traveler/Lullaby  Just click where it says "Listen."

These are the lyrics:

He came up to me
A time traveler
I told him he seemed
Quite familiar to me
What do you see
When you look deep inside
A lonely frightened child who
Hides unsatisfied

CHORUS:
You can’t
Change what’s passed
Only what’s to come
Repaint your heart
Smooth the ragged parts
And find your redemption

Would you like to be
A time traveler
Would you like to see
What the future holds
Look to the past
When you feel afraid
Learn from mistakes you've made
On the way

CHORUS

I turned out to be
A time traveler
Always stuck in the past
And the future
But I learned to be still
In the present hour
I learned to embrace my life
In the now

CHORUS

No comments: