Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Notes from the Cave

Now that we have gotten moved into our new house, and I finally have a man-cave for the first time in my life, I'm going to start a series called Notes From the Cave.  Of course, for all I know, this may be the only entry in the series, but we'll see.  In any case, these "Cave" posts won't be anything special - just random musings.

My parents drove up from Texas this past weekend with a U-haul load of furniture for our new house - hand-me-downs, mind you, not brand new stuff - and then we had movers come on Monday to move the big pieces from our old place to our new place.  There are still a lot of odds and ends and knick-knacks - most notably most of our hanging clothes - to bring over to the new house, but otherwise we are settling into the new digs.

I've been off the past two days, and am off again tomorrow, so I've had a little bit of time to work on the house, unboxing stuff and setting up furniture.  Unfortunately I had to keep one of my daughters home sick with me today, and will have to keep her home tomorrow too, so that has hampered the amount of work I've been able to get done.  Still, I got the entertainment center put together today, and the long-awaited man-cave is basically done.  I'm sitting at my full and complete desk for the first time in a long time - it's a large, L-shaped writing desk, but the "L" part of it has been in storage for all but a year or two of the last 6 years.  Behind me is the "library" - a series of bookshelves lined with all the books I have hoarded and collected and read over my adulthood.  I'm not sure how many there are, but it's several hundred - they took up about 30 boxes.

There is also a television and a couch, as well as my guitars, which I haven't been able to play much over the last few years since we've been living in an apartment.  The only bad thing about the man-cave is that a portion of it is a play area for the girls, with a bunch of their toys and books and such.  I don't mind sharing it - they need a place to spread out and play outside of their rooms - but that corner would also make a GREAT spot for a La-Z-Boy :)

When I can afford it, I'm going to get a small dorm-sized refrigerator and fill it with beer, and stick at the end of my desk where I can reach it without even having to get out of my chair :)  Getting up to get beer is SUCH a chore.

We like the new neighborhood we are in, but we haven't met any neighbors yet.  The backyard is fenced and backs up to a horse farm.  We haven't seen any horses, but I know they must roam around back there because I can see their calling cards all over the place (that's a nice way of saying there is shit everywhere).  I'm a little bit farther from work now, but only about 5 minutes.

RANDOM PHOTO:

This is me in college playing softball.  It's hard to believe I was ever this skinny.



No comments: